As attacks on the C-Suite decline, new data shows that employees in finance department roles are critical to the success of shifts in attack campaign…
Facebook Breach and How it Affects Your Company’s Security
The recent Facebook security breach has been covered extensively not only on technical sites but also in the mainstream news. It is estimated over 50 million Facebook accounts have been compromised. The information they accessed included the email address and password associated with Facebook accounts. What is critical is to understand how this can affect your company’s security.
Though many consider Facebook an individual’s and not a company’s domain, the spillover can have direct effects on your company’s security. News agencies are reporting the Facebook hack can be directly traced to the increase in the number of compromised Microsoft email accounts. If your network users used the same email account and password for their respective Facebook accounts than hackers have a direct link to your corporate network.
Here are some recommendations regarding the actions you should take today.
- If at any point any of your network users used their corporate email account and password on Facebook, they should notify you and change their network account password immediately.
- If your users are using their corporate email account on their Facebook account, they need to remove it immediately. If hackers have your users email address and password from Facebook that matches their corporate account, they have direct access to your network. This exposes your company to all manner of fraudulent use.
- For any users that have been potentially compromised and in general monitor your email flow for potential phishing emails that are attempting to exploit this data breach.
- Have your users create a free email account from one of the scores of providers available.
- Have your users change all of their personal activity to the free account immediately.
Read full article: The New York Times, Facebook Security Breach Exposes Accounts of 50 Million Users